Monday, December 15, 2008

Madrigal Dinner

Our planned trip to Woodland Park for the Mads Dinner, didn't turn out as planned. The dinner was on the weekend of the Stake Choir Fireside that I had also planned to be at. It ended up that I was asked to sing a solo and therefore felt I couldn't miss it. The Mads dinner was on Friday and Saturday nights and the Fireside was on Sunday night. The last rehearsals for the fireside were on Thursday night and Saturday morning. The week after Thanksgiving, I sang in a quartet with some friends at the Relief Society Christmas dinner, and we were asked to sing again in church on the Sunday of all of this madness.  It ended up that Jon needed to work on this weekend and so I had pretty much realized that I was not going to get to go to CO after all. I was pretty sad. But then, we decided that I would go ahead and go on a super quick trip with the kids.  
So the schedule was; go to choir rehearsal on Thursday night, wake up early Friday and drive 8 hrs. to CO and see the Mads dinner that night. I could then leave on Saturday and make it back to sing on Sunday morning, but We thought it would be better for me to spend all of Saturday with the fam out in CO, and that way I wouldn't be so worn out. Then I would drive home early Sunday morning and be back for the fireside.  So I would miss singing on Sunday morning. I guess I had to sacrifice something.  Here's what really happened...

Woke up Friday morning...lots of delays, and left 2 hours late...


Here's where the snow started. I love Glenwood Canyon, it is so beautiful. Especially in the snow.

The snow continued through most of the rest of the trip as did the slower speeds. When we got to Vail we were in a pretty good storm, I had to call Jon to make sure the pass was open. By now I'm pretty much freaking out because it's 3 and the dinner starts at 7 and I still have about 2 hours to go. I ended up getting stuck in traffic for about an hour, from truckers stopping to put on their chains. Don't worry we were at a dead stop or I wouldn't have taken this pic.

I finally got up and over Vail pass and then Hoosier pass, without too much trouble, just bad snow drivers.  Then super slow through beautiful Breckenridge. I love this part too. All the Christmas lights are gorgeous! 

There were several people out creating snow sculptures. This was way more amazing than the picture shows!

I was stuck behind a train of 5 outrageously cautious drivers. When I was finally able to pass them the snow was completely gone, I'm not sure they realized it, I passed all 5 at one time going 65 (the speed limit) Their cautiousness cost me. I pulled up to Moms house at 6:50. We had to change, grab food for the kids and then take them to Quinton and Stephanie's house and then get over to the school.  
We got in to the dinner at 7:25. I missed some of my favorite songs, but Abby did great. She is so beautiful. This was the 15th annual dinner. I was in the 2nd-5th , 10 years ago. Man, I'm old!!! It was weird to not see Mr. Dickson up there, but it was still so familiar.

Abby walked around with this guy because he was dressed as a Knight, so they we're the Knights (That our last name!) The Knights who no longer say "Ni" they are they Knights who say "Ecky- ecky- ecky- pikang- zoop- boing- goodem- zoo- owli- zhiv"

As is the tradition the alumni were asked to come sing the last song with the kids. I really didn't want to, but I would have never heard the end of it from my parents, and there were a couple other alum there, so I went ahead and went up. It was fun singing next to my little sis!

I'm so proud of Abby and I'm so glad I was able to make it to see her. 

Useless Lindsey trivia:
For those of you who don't know Jon and I were in this choir together when we started dating. We were actually at a Mads party when we made it official to be "going out" 12 years ago in January.
 So, back to my story. We spent Saturday in CO even though we knew a storm was coming. Jon read that it wasn't supposed to be too bad, so I stayed. That night I decided to check the traffic cams and road conditions. BAD news! The storm had moved in right over the passes. Vail had warnings; 3-4 feet of snow, wind gusts to 50 mph, snow packed and icy roads. The warning said,"near impossible driving conditions" I could take an alternate route through Leadville, but there were warnings there too, and I don't know those roads. I could also have gone up north through WY, but those roads were completely closed. It was like something out of a Stephen King book (The Stand or The Shining) I called Jon and cried because we both knew the best thing for me to do would be to stay in CO to wait out the storm, and be safe. I said so many prayers that night. I finally had a peace come over me, and I was okay with not being able to make it back to sing at the fireside, and I was able to go to sleep. When i woke up at 4:30 Sunday morning I went to check the road conditions and the storm had gone completely north before it had dropped too much snow and I knew that I would be safe enough to drive home. So many more prayers were said again that day. I left before the sun came up so that I gave myself enough time. The roads were pretty snow packed and slippery, but I'm pretty confident in my snow driving (I'm a mountain girl!) I made pretty good time over the passes and went through a white out blizzard in Breckenridge and super nasty roads through Eagle. We were right behind emergency vehicles for 2 wrecks (didn't get caught in the traffic, yay) and I called 911 for another accident. But, I made it back at 3, unloaded, took a half hour nap, a shower and went to the church at 4:30 to practice in the orchestra, for prelude to the fireside. I am so thankful to my Heavenly Father for giving me the peace I needed and for keeping me and my kiddos safe on our crazy trip, and for the wonderful talents he's given me and my family. The fireside went really well. I was so happy to be a part of it.

1 Pennies for your thoughts:

Christa said...

I am so glad to hear that you made it back okay! Snowy roads can be pretty scary!