Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Funny Face

We built the kids beds knowing they were pretty high and taking care to teach them rules about the beds and what not to do. Even Winter senses how high they are and will go up the stairs, but has only gotten on someones bed once or twice and she stays against the walls and calls for someone to help her down.

The other day while I was folding clothes in the next room over, she started crying and I knew she had fallen from somewhere. I flew into the room, pretty fast for my prego self, and found her standing in the middle of the room. No gushing blood or anything, until I saw her little nose had a mark on it. I checked everything else... head and neck, which I knew were okay because she was standing, while Evey grabbed an otter pop (our favorite form of ice for ouchies) As I was trying to put the ice on her nose it started bleeding and was already swelling, so I decided I wanted to take her to the emergency room to get checked out. I happened to have taken Jon to work that day, so I had to swing by and pick him up, and my mom met us at the hospital to take Paris and Lex. Evey choose to come with us.

I told them she had fallen from the top bunk and caught a stair on the way down, assuming the worst. We got into a room right away and while we were waiting for the doctor, the nurse said it was okay to let her fall asleep because she didn't appear to have any head trauma.  It was nap time, so being sleepy was adding to her misery. She actually fell asleep pretty quick. The doctor was able to check her out while she was sleeping so she wasn't moving and he decided to run a CT scan on her while she was sleeping. Well we all know how it goes in the emergency room, we waited for a long while.  We decided she hadn't actually fallen from the top bunk, she must have fallen from her own bed, which is still higher then normal beds, her wound just wasn't that bad. Anyway, by the time they came to get us to take us to the scan, she had been asleep for an hour, so when we picked her up, she woke up. But she was super good and stayed mostly still, or enough to get a good picture of her head and face. I'm really glad they didn't have to sedate her!!

Then we went back to our room and waited for the results. She was fully awake by this time and was acting completely normal. We were in a pediatric room with an underwater, Finding Nemo theme. She was having fun running around looking at the fish, and crawling on the bed and trying to crawl up on the tray that held the sodas they had brought us, totally back to her spunky self finding something else to fall from! When the doctor came in he laughed at how much of an improvement she had made. He said the scan looked really good, her brain was fine and there were no breaks in her face. He checked her shoulders though, because there looked like a fracture in her shoulders, but after seeing her running around and that her back looked fine, they determined she had just shifted during the scan.

All photos taken with crappy phone cam! 





We were discharged with instructions to give her Tylenol or ibuprofen as needed and come back if she started acting weird, and a cutie little girl with a funny face.

The pictures just somehow don't looks right, she looked much more swollen in person




When we got home and I tried to give her ibuprofen, but she didn't want it and didn't seem to be in any pain what so ever. Though we took it easy the rest of the day. Jon told me that after they had dropped me off at the emergency room door and he waited in the car with the kids for my mom, that they had said a prayer and especially asked that Winter not feel much pain and for her to heal quickly.  I am so thankful for the power of prayer! Winter did not seem to be in any pain at all in the following days, though I did get her to take some ibuprofen once. She looked a little funny and I referred to her as my "funny face" but she did not get the full raccoon mask bruising I thought she would get, and here we are a week later and it is almost completely healed, except for a tiny bit of bruising left under her eyes. There have been many thankful prayers since that day!




Photobucket

1 Pennies for your thoughts:

Drea said...

Wow! What a difference a week makes! I'm glad she was okay--those initial pictures on facebook freaked me out!